Thursday 9 February 2012

What is the Fascination with Points?

I've been reading on Twitter the last few days the pros and cons with the 100 point system for scoring wine. My take on it is, what's the big deal????

I can understand why some wine makers can get pretty upset with a score less than 90 for a wine that in my opinion should be about an 80. They think that a poor score will affect their sales, and it probably does.

But who am I? I'm just a guy who likes to drink wine.

Wait a second.  No.

I think I know a thing or two about what makes a good wine good and a one that has been scored high to influence sales. I asked my wife tonight what she thinks about the 100 point scale system and her response was simple. If it scores high the wine should be good, as long as the scoring is consistent.

And I agree.

Sale and Pelltier in 2002
But here is the problem. The scoring isn't consistent. It is all up to the individual tasting the wine. During this conversation, I was quickly reminded of a certain figure skating scandal during the Olympics in 2002 in Salt Lake City.

Yes, I am Canadian, and probably showing my age, but I'm still a little bitter about the judging for the gold medal round. That's when the Canadians were robbed and the gold was initially awarded to the Russians.

My point is, unless you know what how the wine is being marked the score is meaningless. It's all about how the wine (and figure skaters) perform that should be the true indicators. Not points on a card.

Wine should be about the experience you make of it. Not from that card in front of a bottle of wine on a liquor store shelf. Just because it has a number on it marked by someone that the general public has never heard of before, doesn't always mean that it's good.

In my opinion you need to be the judge yourself. You may like wine from a box. That's OK, even if I may think the wine may not be of a so called good quality. (FYI, it probably isn't if it comes in a box.)

I have spoken to a few winemakers that know the truth. Make a good quality wine that they are proud of and it will be loved by those that drink it regardless what the critics say.

Enjoy a glass.
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me!