Sunday 1 January 2012

Honesty is Truth

How many of you have been standing in your local LCBO or liquor store before going to a dinner party going. What the heck do I bring? I have no idea what dinner is or what will go with dinner. This is an important dinner at your boss' place and you need to make a good impression. You don't want to bring what everyone else is bringing and you want to stand out. You tried to look on-line to find what would be good, but only came up with Yellow Tail and something from somewhere in Italy that you have never heard of. You also came across wine clubs from all over the place and all the pictures are of old ladies and guys with beards that are in desperate need of a barber. Frustrated? Of course you are.

Ok, so you are no further ahead. What to bring?
Here is my only word of advice and one that I firmly believe that you should follow. Bring one that YOU like. I don't care how much it costs or if it comes in a box or bottle. The most important thing about wine is that you enjoy it. Showing how much you enjoy it and what you know about it or at the least how it makes you feel is what is important. Who am I to say that the 2006 Torrentes from Spain is the best ever? I could be completely full of it and really you would believe me because everything on the internet is true.

Here is what I am about. Find out what you like and only use that experience to grow your tastes from there.
As someone who is looking at the wine industry as a second carrier, I have had my share of wine tastings. Some I love. Others are apparently very good, but to me taste like licking an envelope.

Oh, one other thing. Don't be afraid of the Vintages section at the LCBO. Just because it is in Vintages doesn't mean that it's good! Some of them can be bad. And I mean taste like drinking a rubber tire.

So here are a few that I like. Please remember that these are my choices and noone, and I mean noone has told me otherwise.
Post House Penny Black - South Africa
This is a real mish-mash of grapes but for some reason really works.
LCBO# - 148619 - $19.95


Santa Dinga - Cabernet Sauvginon - Chile
This is a great example of new world Cab. Sauv.!
LCBO# - 177451 - $14.95

Well this is my first kick at the can, so if you have any questions, please fell free to ask me and I'll do my best to answer them.
Above all, like what you like and don't care if anyone says otherwise. Drinking wine is all about your personal experience.

If you have questions, please feel free to send them on and I'll do my best to answer them. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me!