Friday 13 January 2012

Amazing Night of Food and Fun

Tonight was a night that I will remember for a long time. My wife Sandra and I went to a couple cooking class at Calphalon Culinary Centre. It was Mediterranean Night Cooking for Couples. We had a great time. Marinated Flank Steak, Chorizo stuffed eggplant (yes I had some) and a great lemon cream dessert.

Here's what disappointed me. There were a total of 6 wines to choose from. 3 red and 3 white and a few beer. For most people it would be fine, but call me picky I was a little disappointed. Sandra had a very nice Mondavi Saugvion Blanc. I stuck with the Jacob's Creek shiraz as I figured it was going to match up as best as possible to the seared flank steak we were preparing.

Here was my biggest surprise of the night. One of the other couples we were speaking with (Julia and Colin) I asked what their favourite wine was at I have to admit I was taken aback.

Julia's favourite was the Cave Spring Estate Riesling. It isn't many people that like a riesling as their go to wine.

In the overall discussion of wine and the meal that we had prepared and was enjoying, the biggest issue that was common for everyone at the table was how they were intimidated with the vocabulary of those who love wine.

Here is the example I used. Volatile Acidity on the nose. To those in the industry you know exactly what I'm talking about. For those of you that don't, have you ever smelled a wine and said to yourself, "band-aid???".

Wine should be about things that you can relate to. Not fancy terms that you don't know what they mean.

I guess my point is, base your love and experience of wine to what YOU know. Not what the books and other people tell you is in it.

Enjoy a glass.
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me!